Chase Freedom Unlimited: Best For Drugstores
The Chase Freedom Unlimited starts you off with a $200 cash bonus when you spend $500 within three months of account opening. You also earn at least 1.5 percent back on all purchases, 5 percent back on travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 5 percent back on Lyft purchases , 3 percent back on dining and drugstore purchases and 1 percent back on other purchases. No annual fee applies.
Why this card is ideal for gift cards: The Chase Freedom Unlimited lets you earn 3 percent back when you buy gift cards from drugstores.
Does Purchasing A Gift Card Count As A Cash Advance
You should also be aware that some credit cards threaten to treat gift card purchases as a cash advance. In this case, you would be charged a cash advance fee and a higher interest rate as well.
Generally speaking, gift cards code as a cash advance when you buy them directly from a financial institution or when you buy a prepaid card instead of a gift card. However, you can get around this by buying gift cards within your normal shopping, such as in your weekly grocery haul at the supermarket.
You can also get around dealing with surprise cash advance fees by asking retailers if their gift cards code as a cash advance or purchase before you buy, or you can call your card issuer and ask them to turn off cash advances on your card altogether.
Gift Cards From Retail Businesses
The Consumer Protection Act bans most retail business gift cards from having an expiry date. This means a gift card can be used to its full value no matter when you decide to use it.
The act also requires that all restrictions and conditions must be stated in clear and visible writing for the customer.
Gift cards that can have an expiry date include:
- gift cards for one specific service
- gift cards issued for charitable purposes
Types of cards not covered by the gift card rules include:
- loyalty cards or club cards used to collect rewards or points
- pre-paid credit cards
No extra charges to use a gift card
Under the act, most businesses cant charge extra fees, such as:
- activation fees or added service fees to purchase the card or to use the card
- fees that reduce the value of the gift card over time, sometimes called dormancy fees
No sales tax to buy a gift card
Businesses cannot charge harmonized sales tax when you buy a gift card. Check your receipt to make sure.
HST is charged on items or services you purchase using a gift card.
When can a business charge a fee?
Businesses are allowed to charge for:
- customizing a gift card
- replacing a lost or stolen card
Always read and understand the terms and conditions before you buy a gift card.
Recommended Reading: Can You Convert Zola Store Credit To Cash
Buying Your Gift Card
You can buy gift cards either online or in-store and if you shop with the Kroger Family of Stores, you’ll receive Fuel Points every time you purchase one . Find out where to buy gift cards with our guide.
With the Kroger Family of Stores, you can find a wide range of gift cards for a variety of retailers. Browse our full gift card range online today!
Buying Or Using Gift Cards
Read about how gift cards from retail businesses and gift cards from malls are covered under the Consumer Protection Act.
- Can this gift card be used in any store location?
- Who do I contact to get my 3-month extension on a shopping mall gift card?
- Am I buying a retail gift card or a pre-paid credit card?
Also Check: Check Balance On Doordash Gift Card
You May Not Receive Credit Card Rewards For Your Purchase
No matter what type of credit card you’re purchasing, be aware that your credit card provider might not issue rewards points for gift card purchases. Either way, make sure you read up on your institution’s policy so you know what to expect.
And finally, something to bear in mind for any credit card purchase, is that no matter how great the rewards, it’s not a good idea to overextend yourself. Regardless of how quickly you’re planning to pay it off, you should avoid using more than 30% of available your available credit doing so can negatively affect your credit score, which can have long-term effects.
Just like with any other credit card purchases, make sure you spend within your means and pay off your balance in full whenever possible, so that interest doesn’t start piling up.
Things To Know About Buying A Gift Card With A Gift Card
I have used a gift card to purchase another gift card a number of times, but in the last couple of years, I have noticed that stores are increasingly setting store policies making it so you can no longer buy a new gift card with a gift card you already have. So that left me asking three questions. The first is, who decides if you can buy a gift card with a gift card? Secondly, why would you want to? And thirdly, Why would you not be allowed to? This is what I came up with.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Doordash Red Card Used For
What Is The Basis For The Store Policy
Lastly, I think it is important to address the basis for a store policy prohibiting this type of transaction. The primary reason that stores will not let you buy a gift card with a gift card is to cut down on money-laundering with gift cards. A typical scenario involves a thief using a stolen credit card to buy a gift card then using that gift card to buy another onecreating some space between the ultimate use of the money and how it was originally and unlawfully obtained. Like so many things in our society, it is disappointing when illegal practices instigate rules and regulations that make it hard for honest people to do things that otherwise would cause no harn. I have purchased gift cards using other gift card multiple times, all for good, legitimate reasons.
Can You Earn Credit Card Rewards By Buying Gift Cards
Depending on your creditor you may, or may not be able to earn rewards with gift card purchases. If your creditor allows it, building points and earning rewards by buying gift cards can be a clever financial strategy. While some credit cards may allow you to earn points by purchasing gift cards, others may not.
Furthermore, some credit cards that do offer rewards for gift card purchases may restrict what types of rewards you can earn from the gift card purchase. Some may only allow you to earn cash back, while others may allow you to earn flexible rewards or points.
Also Check: Where To Buy Zola Gift Card
Buy Universal Gift Cards Online
You can buy the universal gift cards online at the company website
Universal gift card purchase rules and procedures
- Similarly, you can buy, activate and increase in monetary value before you can use it.
- You can use the gift card to purchase selected products and services at participating locations in Universal Studios .
- Similarly, the gift card actually has no expiration date or additional fees.
- You cannot use gift cards to make online purchases on www.universal.com.
- You actually cannot use gift cards to purchase other gift cards.
- Gift cards cannot actually exchange for cash, and you cannot return or refund unless otherwise by law. If it is lost, stolen, or you destroy, you cannot replace it.
- Besides, Universal Studios is not responsible for the unauthorized use of gift cards.
- Similarly, to get the balance, please call 1-888-322-1565.
- Moreover, Act like the gift card is cash.
- And it has the following shipping methods: FedEx, standard shipping
The monetary value for the gift card is as follows $500.00, $250.00, $ 150.00, $100.00, $50.00, $ 25.00, $ 10.00
Blue Cash Preferred Card From American Express: Best For Us Supermarket Purchases
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express lets you earn 6 percent back on up to $6,000 spent at U.S. supermarkets each year , 6 percent back on select U.S. streaming services, 3 percent back at U.S. gas stations and on transit and 1 percent back on all other purchases. You can also earn a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card within the first six months. A $95 annual fee applies .
Why this card is ideal for gift cards: Use this card for gift card purchases when you shop for groceries at U.S. supermarkets and youll earn 6 percent back up to annual limits. You can also earn 3 percent back on gift cards purchased from U.S. gas stations.
Recommended Reading: How To Pay Airbnb With Gift Card
Can I Buy A Walmart Gift Card Using A Walmart Egift Card
I received a $25 walmart egift card, but I needed a physical card for purchase in store . So I used the $25 Walmart egift card to buy a $25 physical gift card on Walmart.com, but the order was cancelled,
because your payment could not be verified
due to an error processing payment information
is it because
- the processing system takes out $1 out of the egift card to verify it, and the remaining $24 not enough to cover the purchase, or
- Walmart doesn’t allow using its egift card to buy its gift card, or
Their customer service is unable to explain why. So I have to ask if someone knows about it.
- 2Generally, gift cards can’t be used to buy gift cards. Whether that’s true for Walmart will be in ths contract you implicitly accept by using the card the details should be on their website somewhere. keshlamAug 17 ’15 at 4:01
- I’m assuming your are buying perishable goods? Because you can order online and pickup in store with most of their products. But I agree with Keshlam, it is kind of counter productive to use a giftcard to buy a giftcard.Aug 17 ’15 at 19:31
- 1Also, they may allow you to use your egift card code in store. They will have to manually enter it in of course. I am not 100% sure but basically cashiers would scan the barcode of the egift card printout, but what if the barcode is not scanning? They would have to have an option to manually enter it in. Just a thought.
Why Would You Buy A Gift Card With A Store Gift Card
When asked this question, I have heard others say, Why would you even want to purchase a gift card with a gift card? Oh my dear, there are several legitimate reasons. Let me explain a few of them below:
1. To get the Gift Card you Want. Thanks to the proliferation of gift card kiosks at malls, grocery stores, craft stores, gas stations and more, there are a variety of places that you can walk into one store in order to buy a gift card for another. This creates an opportunity to swap a gift card you received for one that youd rather have. For example, my kids received a Toys R Us gift card just after Christmas. Since Santa had been good to them, I suggested they did not need more toys. Feeling satisfied , they agreed. So we took the gift card to Toys R Us and used it to buy a movie gift card, ice cream gift card and an iTunes gift card instead. This is about the only way I know to effectively trade a gift card without giving up some of the face value.
2. To Split the Gift Card Value. Gift cards are easy to regift, but sometimes the amount on the card is an odd value or is more than you want to give someone. If you take the gift card to the issuing store, you may be able to use it to buy a new gift card in the dollar amount you want.
Those are just a few legitimate reasons to use a branded gift card to buy another one.
You May Like: What Is The Delight Card For Doordash
Can You Buy Gift Cards Using A Gift Card
Whether you can purchase gift cards with a gift card largely depends on the specific store that you are hoping to purchase gift cards at. The majority of merchants throughout the country will not allow you to do this because of the possibility for fraud to occur.
In the past, customers have typically used gift cards to purchase other gift cards during the holidays when they receive cards for places at which they dont shop. Having the opportunity to exchange a gift card for one you would rather use seems like a good idea, but again, the chance of finding a vendor that will do this is challenging
In most cases, the only way you can purchase a gift card with a gift card is if you use a Visa gift card to purchase a store gift card. Some vendors will allow this transaction because it is very similar to credit card transactions, while other vendors will only allow the purchase of gift cards using cash or debit transactions.
If you have a gift card that you wish to exchange or sell for cash value, you might be able to trade, sell, or exchange the gift card using a gift card exchange website. However, you should be cautious in this endeavor and be sure that you are using a reputable site.
What You Need To Know:
State and federal consumer laws offer gift card consumers many protections, including required disclosures, limits on fees and expiration dates, and access to replacement cards. This Alert explains the different types of gift cards and the rules designed to protect consumers. It also provides guidelines for purchasing gift cards and tips for spotting and stopping different gift card scams.
Read Also: Cant Use Vanilla Gift Card Online
Is My Gift Card Reusable/reloadable
You may add money to an existing physical Chick-fil-A Gift Card purchased from a Chick-fil-A restaurant at any time by visiting such location. You may also purchase additional gift card funds directly in the Chick-fil-A App.
eGift Cards, and Gift Cards purchased from authorized third-party retailers, are not reloadable.
Is There Anyway To Get A Visa Gift Card With A Walmart Gift Card
Unfortunately, there is no direct way to get a Visa gift card with a Walmart gift card from any stores or locations from our research.
However, you still do have options of selling on the Walmart gift card for cash
One of the best ways of doing this is by listing the Walmart gift card on marketplaces like Facebook Marketplace, eBay, or Craigslist.
If you decide to go down this path, however, you are likely to receive around 80-90% of the value of the gift card, as there is an incentive for the buyer to purchase it.
Also Check: Free $1000 Amazon Gift Card
How To Get Gift Card Online
Buying a gift card online is simple, secure and fast no waiting in line and no having to mail a card in time for a special occasion. You can buy a card online and get it delivered to the recipient in a matter of minutes. The Kroger Family of Stores offer more than 200 types of gift cards, from big name brands, Happy cards you can use in different stores and even Visa and Mastercard gift cards that can be used anywhere these providers are accepted. As Kroger sells cards for so many places, you can buy multiple online gift cards at the same time with no need to shop around. Browse our full range of gift cards online.
Can You Purchase Gift Cards With A Credit Card
You can buy gift cards with a credit card, in store and online, but there are a few things you might want to consider. First, any purchase made on your credit card will attract interest unless you pay off the balance quickly, so your $10 gift card could quickly end up costing you a lot more. Plus, some credit card issuers also charge an additional fee for buying gift cards, so the value on the card might end up being much less than it cost you.
Recommended Reading: Do I Have To Have A Red Card To Doordash
Is Buying A Gift Card With A Credit Card Right For You
Buying a gift card with a credit card is pretty easy, but you will want to check off this list before you do so. This will assist you in determining if it is the best transaction for you.
- Does the store or website allow you to purchase a gift card with credit?
- Does your credit card allow you to earn rewards with gift-card purchases?
- Does your credit card treat gift card purchases as cash advances?
- Are there any fees or additional charges to your credit card for gift card purchases?
- Alternatively, have you read the fine print on the gift card to ensure there are no fees or expiration dates that would reduce the value of your purchase?
- Have you met your limit with your credit card, meaning you should not make any more purchases on credit?
- Are you avoiding scams by making a gift card purchase through a reputable site or store?
- Have you looked into the fine print to make sure you know where and how the card can be used?
If you cant purchase a gift card with your credit card for the above reasons, you may also consider looking into purchasing a reputable gift card with cash or a debit card.