The Tricky Thing About Using Visa Gift Cards Online
The most important thing to know about using a gift card online is that you enter the Visa gift card number into the debit or credit card payment field rather than a gift card field.
So if the dollar value of transaction is greater than the dollar amount on your Visa gift card, the transaction will decline and you will not be given the chance to enter a bank card to pay the difference.
If this happens to you, do not worry. Ive got some gift card hacks to help you use your gift cards online even when your gift card is less than the balance.
Making A Purchase With Your Visa Gift Card
- What if I change my mind and want to cancel a purchase?
If a merchant cancels a purchase transaction for you, it may take three to seven business days for the cancellation to show up on your Visa Gift card record and for the funds to be credited to your card and available for use. Check the balance on your card, either online or by phone, to see when your cancelled purchase transaction has been processed. Refer to the back of your card for the web site address/phone number of the financial institution that issued your card.
- Why was my Visa Gift card declined?
- Your card may have expired. Check the expiry date printed on the front of your card. In this case, let the merchant know how much remaining balance you have on your card. The merchant may split the transaction and allow you to pay for part of your purchase with the Gift card, and then the remaining part of your purchase with another form of payment, such as a credit, debit or cash.
- Your remaining card balance may be less than the value of the item you wish to purchase.
- Merchants who only possess a manual imprint machine cannot accept Gift cards which have the phrase “ELECTRONIC USE ONLY” printed on the front of the card.
- Some internet merchants use fraud protection software that may decline a Gift card purchase transaction.
- Your card may not be activated or registered yet. Follow the activation and registration instructions that came with the card, or contact the card issuer
Hack Away Small Balances
This gift card workaround is also a great way to get rid of a pesky small balance on a gift card. I recently found that I still had a Visa gift card in my mobile wallet with a balance of $4.09. Knowing it would be a challenge to use this exact amount online and would be more of a nuisance to use it in stores, I used the gift card to buy an for exactly $4.09. After completing the transaction, the arrived in my email within seconds. I then logged back into Amazon and applied the dollar amount to my Amazon account. The next time I make a purchase , Ill be able to apply that $4.09 credit to my bill. I would much rather take the time to do this than leave an unused balance on a gift card indefinitely. Using the money took a little effort. Not using it would have been a waste.
Over time, Im hoping online shopping carts will get more sophisticated and customers will have the option to split transactions into multiple forms of paymentperhaps paying half of the bill with a gift card, a quarter of the amount due with PayPal and the final balance with Bitcoin. But until that happens, a few gift card hacks will have to do.
Got any other gift card problems you cant solve? Let me know in the comments below or leave a message for .
Happy Gift Carding!
Recommended Reading: Where Do You Get Google Play Gift Cards
Enjoy These Prepaid Card Benefits
- The perfect companion to cash and your CIBC debit and credit cards.
- Available to buy at banking centres, and through CIBC Online Banking® and the CIBC Mobile Banking App®.
- You can buy up to 5 prepaid cards, one for each currency.
- Buying and using a prepaid card wont affect your credit rating.
- Load funds from your CIBC bank account or CIBC Personal Line of Credit, or with your credit or debit card at the Toronto Pearson Airport Banking Centre.
- Save time when shopping online: use online banking to set up a Visa Checkout account with this card.
- Free cash withdrawals at CIBC ATMs within Canada.
- The ATM cash withdrawal fee is waived for one withdrawal outside of Canada per month.
- Funds don’t expire3.
- Free 24/7 online access to your account balance and transactions.
Want To Get A Visa Gift Card
A smart gift anyone can appreciate.
The Visa Gift card is an ideal choice for birthdays, holidays, weddings, and suits all your gift-giving needs. It’s also perfect for people of all ages. You decide how much money to give they decide where to spend it.
You will receive important information regarding the Visa Gift card such as how to activate and use the card. This information should be given to the recipient of the card.
You May Like: Where To Buy Soft Surroundings Gift Card
Prepaid Cards Vs Gift Cards: An Overview
Prepaid cards and gift cards are both pieces of plastic that can be used to make purchases. They make popular presents as well: A versatile way to give a recipient the funds to buy whatever they like that seems safer and a touch classier than a wad of cash, and more convenient than a personal check. The biggest difference between the two reflects their permanence: prepaid cards can be reloaded and used indefinitely, while gift cards can generally only be used until the dollar amount on them is exhausted.
Where To Buy The Stores Egift Card
Sometimes you do not know the transaction is going to exceed the gift card balance until the shopping cart gets loaded up with shipping charges and taxes. When that happens, there are two ways to quickly get an egift card to use:
1. Empty the Cart and Start Over When the total purchase is greater than the value of the gift card, one solution is to cancel the items in your cart and buy an egift card instead. When the egift card arrives, you can start over.
2. Buy the eGift Card Elsewhere Another option is to buy the egift card from a different website. If you want a , for example, you can buy that here at GiftCards.com.
Read Also: Where Can You Buy Robux Gift Cards
Visa Gift Card Troubleshooting Guide:
Having issues with your Visa gift card? Ask yourself the following questions to troubleshoot your issue.
- Did you make a typo? If you get an error when trying to make an online purchase with a Visa gift card, the first thing you should always do is check if the name, address, card number, and security card are all correct. Its very easy for a finger to slip and cause a typo.
- Is the merchant based outside the U.S.? If youre still having issues, check if the store youre trying to buy from is located outside the United State. Because of the recent legislature, most gift cards sold within the U.S. are restricted from being used at merchants outside of the U.S. If your card is a U.S.-only card it will say Valid only in the United States on the front.
- Are you trying to use your Visa gift card at PayPal? You will run into issuer blocking if you try to redeem your Visa gift card at a business where that allows you to convert a payment into cash. You cant convert your Visa gift card for cash because of money-laundering concerns. Since PayPal falls into this type of business, this is why you cant use your Visa gift card there.
- Are you trying to sign up for a monthly service? If you try using your Visa gift card to sign up for recurring services, its possible that the merchant may block prepaid cards from being used. They do this because they know there is only a limited amount of funds on the gift card and that the payment will fail eventually.
Can I Pay With More Than One Visa Gift Card
YES with this Gift Card Hack:Many people think that you cannot use a Visa gift card online if the transaction exceeds the dollar value on the Visa gift card. While that is true, the problem is more of a technical issue than a limitation of the gift card.
When you look at an online shopping cart, you will generally see a field to enter a gift card number and a field to enter a debit or credit card. The split tender or partial gift card payment transaction is possible when paying with a store gift card because you enter the store gift card into the gift card field and you enter your debit or credit card into the other field. But since a Visa gift card is entered into the debit or credit card field, theres no other place to enter your debit or credit card to complete the transaction.
Without a little creativity, there is generally no way to use more than one Visa card to complete an online purchase. I have never seen an online shopping cart that allowed more than one bank card, of any type, to be applied to a purchase.
Also Check: What Is The Best Prepaid Visa Gift Card
What If I Need To Return An Item That I Purchased With My Navy Federal Visa Gift Card
If you decide to return merchandise purchased with your Navy Federal Visa Gift Card, you may be asked to present the card to process that return. Be sure to hold onto your purchase receipts and your cardeven after the balance is depleted. If store policy is to credit the card used to make a purchase, it will take 3 to 7 days to be added back to the available balance on the card. When returning an item purchased online, you may need to provide your gift card number.
Use Your Visa Gift Card Online
You use it in the exact same way you would use a credit card. That means you put in all your personal information. Then, put the Visa gift card number in the credit card number field along with the CVC.
Do not make the mistake of putting the gift card number in the gift card field. Most of the time, that field is reserved for store-specific gift cards. For example, if youre shopping online at BestBuy, the image below shows you where to put the BestBuy gift card number and where the Visa gift card details would go.
You May Like: Who Sells Torrid Gift Cards
What Is A Prepaid Card
Prepaid cards are technically a type of debit card. Issued by a financial institution or credit card companyVisa, MasterCard, and Discover all offer themthey are deposited or “loaded” with a certain amount of money. They then can be used in person or online to purchase items or pay bills. They can also be used at ATMs to withdraw cash.
Just like regular credit cards, prepaid credit cards have a number and an expiration date printed on the front or back, and they generally can be used in the same places. The amount of money deposited or “loaded” onto the card represents the card’s credit limitthat is, how much can be charged on it. Once the balance on the card had been exhausted, the card is worthless, unless more funds are deposited on it. In fact, a prepaid debit card can be used repeatedly, so long as the cardholder keeps adding money to the card. It may carry a monthly fee, however.
Although the terms are often used interchangeably, these prepaid cards are not the same as prepaid credit cards. Requiring an application, a credit check, and approval from the issuer, a prepaid credit card functions like a regular : the cardholder can maintain an outstanding balance, receives monthly statements, etc. The key difference is that approval for the card is contingent on a security depositcollateral for the issuer, in case the cardholder falls delinquent in their payments.
Why Should I Register My Visa Gift Card
There are several benefits:
- It enables you to make purchases online. Your registered address will serve as the billing address that retailers require.
- It enables representatives to more quickly assist you when you need assistance.
- It protects you if your card is ever lost or stolen, so that you can be reimbursed for funds lost.
You May Like: Does Kohls Have Visa Gift Cards
Did You Lose Your Visa Gift Card
If you happen to lose a Visa gift card, you should report it immediately to the card issuer. Youll need to provide the lost or stolen Visa Gift card number for cancellation and replacement.
So it may be a smart idea to write the number down somewhere in case you do lose it or have it stolen.
Want to earn free Visa Gift cards? Check out my article on the best 33 gift card apps!
Spending With Your Card
Yes. Mobile wallets like Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay allow you to add your prepaid card onto your wallet via the Mobile Wallet app. This allows you to pay for purchases in-store straight from your smartphone device via the Mobile Wallet app.
You can withdraw money using your prepaid card from ATMs worldwide. Just look for the Visa or Plus symbol.
If you are withdrawing funds from a country with a different currency than your prepaid card, your funds will be converted to local currency and a foreign conversion fee will apply.
You can only withdraw Canadian funds from CIBC ATMs in Canada. Even if a CIBC ATM in Canada dispenses USD, the prepaid card can only withdraw Canadian funds from the ATM.
You cant use your Smart Prepaid Travel Visa card to withdraw funds from CIBC multi-currency ATMs in Canada.
Note: You cant get cash back from a merchant or ask for cash advances.
No. Even with the U.S. dollar CIBC Smart Prepaid Travel Visa card, you can only withdraw Canadian funds from ATMs in Canada.
There is no additional conversion fee charged when funds are being withdrawn in a country with the same currency as your prepaid card.
Yes, but some merchants may advise you to use a credit card instead.
You will need to present your prepaid card and the merchant receipt for a refund. The merchant can return funds to the same prepaid card that was used to make the purchase.
Refunds to your card will be processed within 10 business days.
Don’t Miss: How To Check Balance On A Home Depot Gift Card
Select Rounded Up The Best Prepaid Cards That Can Help Parents Teach Their Kids About Money And Come In Handy If You Overspend With Cash Or Credit
Selects editorial team works independently to review financial products and write articles we think our readers will find useful. We may receive a commission when you click on links for products from our affiliate partners.
Prepaid cards are a relatively simple way for you to pay for purchases without opening a credit card or bank account. They work similar to a debit card in that you can use a prepaid card to pay bills, set up direct deposit and use mobile check deposit. You’ll even receive the same $250,000 FDIC insurance that protects your deposits if your bank fails.
One reason to opt for a prepaid card over other forms of plastic is that it’s a relatively low-risk way to manage your money. Parents can use prepaid cards as a way to teach their kids about money before making them an . And if you struggle to stick to a budget, you can use a prepaid card to help monitor your spending, with the goal of eventually graduating to a credit or debit card.
If you’re interested in opening a prepaid card, there are wide variety to choose from. To help make the process easier, Select rounded up the best prepaid cards, and below we’ve broken down everything you need to know before you sign up.
Can You Activate A Gift Card At Self Checkout
Best Answer: No way you can never activate a gift card through self check out. It can only be activate at the register. I am sure they have some sort of code they need to put in there register to activate the card. Customers often times use self checkout due to the extremely long wait at Walmart checkout lines.
Don’t Miss: Who Sells Bath And Body Works Gift Cards
Can You Use My Vanilla Prepaid Debit Card On Only Fans Youtube
How to use vanilla gift card on onlyfans. Can you use vanilla visa gift card on only fans youtube. And i always pay by debit card. The difference is that a gift card isnt under your name unlike a credit card debit card or prepaid card.
Because a lot of people are not aware that onlyfans does not accept debit cards. Recently i purchased a third card after using my funds on my old card. If your visa card does not need otp for transaction then you will not face any.
You use it in the exact same way you would use a credit card. That means you put in all your personal information. But the main reason for this is not having a 3d card.
Can you use a prepaid visa debit card in. Sometimes you may face issue with prepaid visa card as they require otp for doing any transaction. Heres how to use a visa gift card online, no matter what the balance is:
Can you use cash app cash card on only fans youtube. To start, it is important to remember that as far as your anonymity goes, gift cards and prepaid debit cards are two very different animals. Using a prepaid card on onlyfans can be a good way to confidently make purchases on the site.
Can you use vanilla visa gift card on only fans youtube You can also pay by debit card in onlyfans. Other payment system doesnt work on onlyfans.